Choosing a pushchair, pram or travel system is a big decision. You might have planned to do it with your partner and make a day of it, or to go out with a generous grandparent to the shops or to a Baby Show, to sit and have a coffee and cake as you dithered about the different options.
But living through these strange times means that it’s not an option at the moment to visit the shop and talk to the assistant who’s demonstrating all the features and benefits: does it have a rain cover? How does it fold? Can it stand up? How many reclining settings does it have?
And if your baby’s on the way, it’s not a decision that can be postponed indefinitely. As we all adapt to our unfamiliar new world, we should give thanks for the magic that is the internet. At least (as this is written) online stores are still open and deliveries are still being made.
Many brands have invested, before this global crisis, in excellent video and photography – the next best thing to actually getting to try the product yourself. Try looking on the retailer or brand website for the video and any FAQ’s you can find. It’s all useful information as part of your purchasing decision.
The other thing you can do is look at pushchair review websites and blogger reviews to get opinions of others – both experts and real parents.
Finally take a look at award wins or shortlists. The Dadsnet, Junior, Made for Mums and Mother & Baby, to name but a few, have rigorous testing and judging processes. Pushchair brands genuinely win these accolades because they offer quality, ease of use and enhance the parenting experience.
So what’s the right buggy for you? You might want to take time to think about the practicalities and your real needs to fit in with your daily routine first. Here are a list of questions to get you thinking about what you really might need:
- How much do I want to spend?
- Do I want something that will last until baby is around 3 years old?
- Do I want something that works for country walks, urban streets, the beach or all of these?
- How big is my car to cart the pram/pushchair around in?
- Where will it be stored at home – will it need to be folded to store?
- Do I want to have a simple travel system with car seat included or do I want to get this separately?
- Do I want to choose something more traditional or modern?
- Do I need lots of storage on the pram for shopping?
- Do I need to fold the pram easily and store it somewhere out of the way if I am in a busy café?
- What colours do I like?
So enjoy your time doing your research. Even though you can’t get out to the shops, there’s lots you can be doing to get ready for your baby and lots of adventures to look forward to outside when life gets back to normal again.
CREATING MEMORIES THAT LAST A LIFETIME